5 important reasons to start to freecycle
As we kick off the next phase of the freecycling revolution, we thought it’d be worth taking a moment to reflect on why we love to freecycle so much.
1. Freecycling reduces landfill and incineration
Every year hundreds of tonnes of goods and products are sent to landfill, that could have been reused. Landfill takes up valuable soil area that is contaminated for decades with toxic substances. The incineration process generates carbon emissions, which contribute to climate change, as well as potential air pollution problems.
2. Give back to your community
There are thousands of people out there that are looking to do their bit to combat the acceleration of resource consumption over the past two decades. There are also many out there who haven’t been as fortunate as you, who could benefit from the item that you are looking to throw away. Do your bit for your neighbours. Freecycling could contribute to alleviating the effects of poverty and drive up levels of social inclusion.
3. Conserve natural resources
The build the possessions that surround us, we need to extract vital natural resources from our planet. Possessions like our clothes, phones, sofas, computers and much more. This is unfortunately happening at unprecedented and unsustainable levels in many sectors. Unlike landfill, the lands pillaged to extract these natural resources are very often of those that are less privileged and protected than us. Where corruption and political apathy drive the destruction of havens for flora and fauna.
4. Reduce energy consumption
Freecycling prevents energy consumption that would otherwise be used in the disposal, recycling and/or manufacturing of new products. If millions of us are sharing our used products, then simply less energy will be used.
It has been found by Jeffrey Morris that recycling paper uses 45% less energy than from processing it from wood fibres. That still leaves an additional 55% that is further saved by freecycling! We’d never want to discourage recycling, but by freecycling we can all minimise consumption of energy.
5. We can all profit from this
You mean we can make money from freecycling?? Well, no. Not directly anyway. But indirectly, we certainly can. Governments and councils spend billions every year on waste disposal and recycling costs. In the UK, textiles alone cost £82 million to dispose of. That’s about £1.50 for every human being in the UK!
There you have it. We’ve covered the environmental, social and economic benefits of freecycling. How much more persuading do you to get involved? …Oh and of course let’s not forget to mention how damn good it feels. You’re de-cluttering your house, or redesigning your living room, and you’re carrying out a really good deed. Enjoy that feeling, keep calm, and keep freecycling!